Without Judgment

Throughout therapy, things have been expected of me, like homework if you will. Some of it is to help push me towards understanding. Some of it is to move me out of my comfort zone.

Several months ago, after stating that I don't always feel "normal" being bisexual, my therapist mentioned that it might be a good idea to look into finding a support group. I thought it was an interesting idea. And my first instinct was to consider if there were even any groups like that in Phoenix. I mean, it's not like it's San Francisco or something. But it was an interesting idea.

The next day, in a moment of Google-itis, I found an answer. Damn you, Google! Just when I figured I wouldn't have to change or grow.

And in the top of the search was a link to an Arizona chapter of BiNet.

So let's flash forward to the night of the social.
I was apprehensive.
Nervous.
Afraid of meeting "crazy people".
Okay. I had no idea of who I would meet there.
But I considered backing out a few times.
But then I'd have to deal with the guilt of "quitting".
[I hate my sub-conscious sometimes.]

I had the expectation to keep my head low. Not contribute much. Stay "guarded". Well, that lasted all of about 5 minutes. A couple showed up shortly after the start time, and they were very similar to K & I. I mean, it's almost scary how close to us they are, in both story & experiences.

Right away, she started in with the pointy questions. The same kind of questions I had hoped to avoid by staying quiet. So my cover was blown. I could no longer be the ambiguous guy at the end of table. No longer the "curious" one, or the "uncertain" one. And it ended up being an enjoyable evening. I found a group of people that were in similar shoes. Not all of them had it "all figured out". But many of them knew more about themselves than I did. Were able to accept things better than I could.

And it was refreshing.
The jungle seemed a little bit brighter.
A little less intimidating.

And ultimately, I might have found a few people that I could be friends with.

Without pretense.
Without secrets.
Without guilt.
And without judgment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HNT - Entry One (2006)

HNT - Entry Two

Denouement